BioWare announcing a sequel to the massively successful and critically loved Dragon Age: Origins isn’t much of a shock but is still quite an exciting moment for admiring fans. The official site went live earlier today with two pieces of concept art (the second found after the break) and a sprinkling of information for Dragon Age 2, both of which will be followed by a debut trailer coming August 17th. So what’s the sequel all about? Well; “You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.” That’s what. The site also features a small list of Dragon Age 2‘s key features:
- Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
- Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
- Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
- Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
- Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.
What interests me the most is the promise of new combat mechanics making you “think like a general and fight like a Spartan.” That could mean a mix of real-time fighting with strategic character/team commands. It’s way too early for any such specifics but the date of February 1st 2011 has already been hinted as a possible release so more details may come sooner rather than later since Dragon Age 2 maybe coming in as little as seven months.