Vodpod videos no longer available.
UPDATE: Media Molecule have released 2:09 minutes of LBP2 goodness!
Yes it is now indeed true, Media Molecule are working on a sequel to LittleBigPlanet. Confirmed by Game Informer, details quickly appeared on NeoGAF and are as plentiful as they are exciting;
- LittleBigPlanet 2 will be less of a platformer and more like an area to create all kinds of games from shooters, racers, RPGs and the likes. You could potentially make a fighting game if you so wished. “A Media Molecule developer has created a fully-functioning Command & Conquer Clone.”
- Levels can be linked together letting your multiple creations become one large game.
- A fully customisable enemy called Sackbot will be available for all kinds of twaeking from AI to weakpoints.
- Extra gadgets will be added much like the Metal Gear Solid paintball gun.
- Story levels won’t be country based but period based like the Renaissance or Cold-War.
- Existing user-created levels from LBP1 will be compatible with the sequel.
These are just some of the new features coming to LBP2 and the full list can be found here. News like this is hard to criticise when such improvements are said to be made but one thing does trouble me. The level creation was pretty robust with some amazing experiences being constructed by those with the time to invest but felt a little daunting for anyone else. My worry is that with the inclusion of even more options, the level creation aspect will become increasingly alien for those who are more casual LBP players.
Still, another LBP is quite exciting for fans of the Sackboy even if It does feels a bit like LittleBigPlanet will be prematurely replaced. It was always said to be timeless with add-ons and updates expanding the game’s mechanics. The new tools do sound like they’re quite advanced but the article suggests LBP was never intended on being a simple platformer. It would have been nice to see the first game given more attention than it received as Sony never really tapped the full potential of LBP the way it should have. Regardless of that, LittleBigPlanet 2 is coming and looks to be a huge improvement on the first. I can’t wait, can you?